Monday, October 1, 2007

Looking for a Bloodcurdler

It's October 1st and I find myself in the spooky spirit of the Halloween season. To commemorate this creepy time of the year, I've decided to inundate myself in a good horror or thriller story.

The first two books I noticed (primarily because they were at close proximity to me) were Shirley Jackson's Come Along With Me, which is a collection of short stories,




and The Haunting of Hill House, a supernatural thriller about five individuals who come into contact with a preternatural entity while staying at a ghastly and malevolent mansion.



While these two books do grab my attention, I crave something more unearthly or spine tingling. I can't state specifically what it is I hanker for, other than to say that I'm looking for that story which encapsulates you in a horrifying shiver. Got any suggestions?

Tom

PS
I've already read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson as well as The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty and LOVED them both (the conclusion to I Am Legend was somewhat disappointing).

4 comments:

kitchu said...

I so cannot do horror anymore, especially in written form, it is so hard for me!

paramedicgirl said...

I have a book called Hell (written by a Catholic priest)that you can have. It'll scare you so bad you'll never need to read another horror story as long as you live. ;}

ignorant redneck said...

Gosh, when I want something to give me the willies, I watch the news. :p

Tom in Vegas said...

Good point I.R. The television screen can look like Regan from the Exorcist.

PG, I'm sticking to H.P. Lovecraft for now. But if things get boring and your offer is still good, I'll take you up on it. Thanx!