Sunday, October 12, 2008

More than just Halloween


Now that Halloween is coming up, I see more of this film on the DVD racks of department stores than at any other time of the year. While I admit that I like to watch a horror flick late at night with a bag of popcorn in my hand or some other kind of junk food, I think this film goes a little beyond mere entertainment. I like the priests in it, and I like how they are portrayed. The ending has two scenes - for those of you who remember it - that are quite powerful. Father Karras frees Regan of the demon and allows himself to be possessed. Before harming the child, he jumps out the window and takes the demon with him. The next powerful scene comes at the finale when Regan and her mom, Chris, are moving away from the house and are met by Father Dyer, Father Karras' good friend. Chris explains to Father Dyer the Regan has no recollection of what transpired, but Regan, nonetheless, has some idea of what saved her. She glances momentarily at the Roman Collar Father Dyer is wearing, then proceeds to give him a kiss on the cheek.

8 comments:

paramedicgirl said...

I've never like horror films. Too scary!

Kathleen Miller said...

I used to watch alot of movies like the Omen, The Shining, some of the exorcist as a teen. Then when I was home alone I started thinking about these movies and was a bit freaked out.

I try to stay away from Exorcism movies because they are too scary for me.

Great post though!

Katie Alender said...

I can write a ghost story, but I can't read one or watch them in movies! But I have heard interesting things about The Exorcist... like you say, that it's more than just a horror movie.

Tracy said...

When I was a teen watching with friends.. it didn't bother me.. it bothers me now.. as a parent with a teen daughter.. too creepy.. nope.. can't do it:)

Terry Nelson said...

Exorcism movies or anything to do with the demonic are too scary for me too. When I saw The Exorcist - I was haunted for days afterwards. I would wake up at night all wet from sweating.

Adrienne said...

The Exorcist is a classic - so well done and very, very scary. I though the last scene was very touching too..

kritterc said...

I saw this movie in secret when I was a senior in high school. My parents had forbidden me to see it and I went with some friends anyway. The movie scared me and it was bad because I could not talk to my mom about it. Just goes to show you....Mind your mom and dad!!

On another note - I love your Christmas music. I have a personal rule that says I cannot listen to it until the day after Thanksgiving, but sometimes I break it. Don't tell anyone.

Jennifer said...

I really like movies like the exorcist...makes me think and ponder my beliefs more.