Friday, June 6, 2008

When I hear this song...




I'm reminded of these images:

Stars



Lute Players



Cinderella Griselda



Daybreak



Evening



Jason and His Teacher



Aquamarine




Displayed above are a few of the works by twentieth century painter and illustrator Maxfield Parrish (1870-1966). Note the striking colors ("Parrish blue"), the romance, and paradisiacal setting of each of these pieces. By developing a technique that combined the usage of oil, varnish and photography, Maxfield Parrish was in a league of his own.

While the words of Nessum Dorma might bear little relevance to any of these paintings, with it's sweeping romanticism and beautiful note progression, it provokes an Elysium evocation that is also recognizable in Perrish's works.

7 comments:

ukok said...

Could my day start any better? Andrea Bocelli...sigh....

Thanks Tom!

Shirley said...

I used to have some of those Maxwell Parrish prints in my home back in the 70's. And I agree. Andrea does evoke that kind of image. Thanks for the great music!

Adrienne said...

Lovely!

Kathleen Miller said...

Tom,

Thanks for this post.

I have a Matthew Parrish "Daybreak" print framed in my dining room.

At a recent gathering a friend of mine questioned the significance of the people in this painting ans what are they doing?. I really couldn't answer her; I just happened to like it....

If you could shed a little light on this particular print that would be great.

God Bless,

Kathy

paramedicgirl said...

Wow! What a beautiful voice!

Tom in Vegas said...

Kathy-

I've, too, have been trying to acquire more information about the historicity of Parrish's "Daybreak", but I can't seem to find any. The only thing I know is that it is the most widely reproduced art print of the twentieth century, surpassing Norman Rockwell's "Four Freedoms" and Andy Warhol's soup cans. I also know that one of the children who posed for the work was his own daughter. And in 1996, the painting was sold to a private dealer for 7.6 million dollars. That’s the extent of my knowledge.

BTW, I note a dramatic color shift between images posted on different websites. You say you have a print of Maxfield’s Daybreak, compare it to the ones featured on the link below. You’ will need Quicktime to see the movie.

I think it’s time to visit a library:0)

PS
I do know that Maxfield Parrish had designed stage-theaters in his lifetime, which would explain the theater-like appearance of where the subjects are standing.

Daybreak.

Tracy said...

Awesome Tom!!!