Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I spent the afternoon and the evening hours with my grandmother till about 11 p.m. today. She seemed a little better than yesterday, but she is far from being out of the woods. Here's the situation: her blood pressure keeps dropping and they are giving her medications to try to elevate it. Because she has atrial fibrillation, her heart rate is erratic and sometimes elevated beyond the normal beats per minutes. Today they gave her a medication to regulate her heart rate but part of the side-effects of that particular medication is to lower the blood pressure, something we definitely do not want. The nurses told me that they will not give her that same medication again. They also did an echo-cardiogram and the technician showed my mom the problems the echo-cardiogram machine could detect in her heart (I stepped out of the room simply because I didn't want to hear it).

I'm trying to pull myself together because the severity of what is happening is hitting me for the first time tonight. I'm definitely not ready to say goodbye just yet.

Please continue to keep her in your prayers. Thank you and God bless.

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Tom, this is the time when your faith strengthens you, your belief in the glory of heaven gives you hope. I pray that she is in a state of grace, and that Mary and Joseph will not only help her but help you also. I place you and Isabelle in the Imacculate Heart of Mary and in the shelter of her Mantle. God bless you.

Tracy said...

oh Tom, she is indeed in my prayers, please keep us updated.

Melody K said...

Tom, I'm so sorry to hear of your grandmother's illness. Of course I will keep her in my prayers.

Tom in Vegas said...

Shirley-

You're so kind and thoughtful. Thank you. Also know that I have prayed for your mom as well.

Tracy and Melody-

Your prayers are gift. Thank you so much for praying for gram's.

jessica said...

Oh Tom, my heart goes out to you right now. I really wish I had the right words to say... but I am praying for you and for your dear sweet Grandma. Remember that God is in control and that both you and Grandma are in his stong and loving hands.

Tom in Vegas said...

Jessica-

Thank you so much. We really appreciate those prayers.

Kirk said...

Cousin Tom,
I am not blogging at the moment as I am just too busy! however I heard about your Grandmother and I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and will remember her in my prayers.

Mike and Kim said...

Oh Tom, I was thinking about your Grandmother this morning and decided to check your blog and see if you had an update. We, of course, will continue to keep her in our prayers. As hard as it is when your head and heart are FULL...
Be still, and know that He is God.
She is in the BEST Hands.
Peace,
Kim&Mike

Terry Nelson said...

Sorry I'm late to this - but I continue to pray.